Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Simple Page
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Fluvanna County Historical Society

Dublin Core


Fluvanna County Historical Society


Founded in 1964, the Fluvanna County Historical Society is an incorporated non-profit organization dedicated to the collection and preservation of manuscripts, documents, and materials relating to the history of Fluvanna County; to protecting, preserving and promoting the historic, cultural, natural, architectural and archaeological heritage of Fluvanna County; to facilitating research and presenting historical programs, exhibitions and other activities relating to the area’s heritage; and to publishing its research in a series of annual bulletins and newsletters.

The Society operates the Old Stone Jail Museum in Palmyra as a center for learning about Fluvanna’s history. The Society also owns the Village Park adjacent to the Palmyra Post Office, where a map of historic Palmyra is available. In addition the Society owns the Palmyra Mill which will soon be converted into an historic park, and the Holland-Page Place on Courthouse Road is also owned and operated by the Society. Holland-Page Place is a log cabin built in 1865, which the Society recently restored and received an award for its restoration. It has been open to visitors since June of 2007.

The Fluvanna County Historical Society and its archives reside at the center of Palmyra at a building known as Maggie's House and is located next door to the Old Stone Jail Museum.

Contact Us:

Judith Mickelson, Director
Hayley Tompkins, Archive Specialist

Phone: (434) 589-7910

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 8, Palmyra, VA 22963
Physical Address: 14 Stone Jail Street, Palmyra VA 22963

Also find us on Facebook and Twitter!


Fluvanna County Historical Society (Fluvanna Historical Society)

Items in the Fluvanna County Historical Society Collection

1848 letter from Clerk of Court for Fluvanna County, Virginia registry paper for free negro, signed Abram Shepherd.

This is a stone road marker placed by General John Hartwell Cocke, the Fluvanna County Overseer of Roads, in 1828. This specific marker directed people from the Fluvanna County seat at Palmyra to the James River at New Canton. There were multiple…

On Friday, May 1, 1908 students from Palmyra High School boarded the train in North Palmyra on this momentous occasion. Here, they left Station 812 at 9:45 and traveled to the next station – Wildwood. Although this station had no memorable name,…

The Page mines were located on Long Island Creek. They werefirst eradicated in 1856 and an eight stamp mill was created to crush the ores of the veins running through the property. Although it is hard to find the origins of the property in county…

Early taverns of America were places where members of the community and travelers alike could eat, drink, gather, and sometimes even sleep. There were several taverns located in Columbia throughout the years since the town’s founding. This…